What can we do as boaters?
The boating community is passionate about protecting the waters it boats on and there are steps we can all take to raise awareness of plastic pollution and help tackle the problem. By pledging to help reduce debris and encouraging others to do the same, the boating community can be part of the solution:
- Don’t throw anything over the side, including food
- Prevent loose items from blowing overboard
- Reduce single-use plastics e.g. use refillable water bottles, reuse bags
- Buy products with less packaging
- Always choose products without microbeads
- Ditch the disposables e.g. plastic (and other non-recyclable) cups, plastic straws
- Choose disposable cutlery and rubbish bags made from corn-starch, this can be composted
- Take part in beach and shoreline clean ups
- Find out about local recycling facilities
Organisations giving advice on sustainable boating:
Start your journey towards an environmentally sustainable boating community today!